Thursday, March 24, 2011

Where can you save money at in your life?


My life consists of a large part, searching for ways to lower our expenses and still live easy and happy now.  Now I have found many ways to do such, ranging from where I buy clothes to how often I buy certain things.

Clothing
Having 2 kids clothing for a family of 4 can be rough but I have found ways to clothe everyone with either new or gently used clothes for a fraction of the cost of new clothes.
  • Thrift stores-there are certain ones that will have high standards for what they take in, these are the best ones to find kids clothing I've found.
  • Trade-trade with parents around you or online(www.thredup.com  is an awesome website for this)
  • Join websites newsletters(The Children's Place, Crazy 8, The Disney Store)  All these stores all send emails with discount codes and rewards often) I personally purchase a lot from Children's Place
  • Buy in the off season.  I have bought shirts for $1 or less, leggings for $1 for 2 pairs just being out of season
  • Look for the long term. I validate buying a $40 pair of jeans for my husband because they last him 1 year or more, where as if I buy the ones that are $10 they rip easier and I end spending more to replace them
  • Shoes, as with the jeans I spend $40 or less on a pair of good sneakers ( I usually find them on sale) and those last 1-2 years at the very least
Entertainment
This is a big thing for us because I barely get out of the house being a stay at home mom, my weekly shopping trips are my time out lol so I've found ways to save money at home and still have ways to be entertained
  • Internet-This provides much of our entertainment and allows us other ways of entertainment through the internet
  • Netflix-We don't need cable because at $10.95 a month all of us including the kids are entertained with tvs shows and movies galore(This package also covers the 1 dvd at a time deal)
  • Board games/Cards-we have multiple card games and board games as well that we sometimes dig out
  • DVDs-another reason why we don't need cable when we can't find anything on netflix we dig out a dvd we haven't seen in awhile. You can also trade dvds on Swapadvd for ones you like 
Those are my biggest areas of spending, groceries, clothing, and entertainment.  My goal is to slowly reduce our trash and try to re-use as much as possible.  Comments and advice are welcome for ideas for this, with a family of 7 we produce a lot of trash. I am looking at things that I can re-use for my crafts and other things.




















No comments:

Post a Comment