Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Potty Training my 2 1/2 year old!

So this is my last baby, my baby boy. Although I wish he would never grow up it's come to that point where potty training is a must!
Now I had tried this before without sucess, but stuck with it once we moved.

Here's what I had:

1- pack of plastic pants(I bought mine at walmart for about $8 I think at the most)
2-3pack of cloth training pants like these
1-6pk regular toddler underwear

Now I recently used my last coupon for a box of diapers...after that box was gone I said I was determined to have him potty trained. Well it was super frustrating with having to unpack etc and keep up with the peeing. He only used a diaper at naps and at bedtime. During the day it was underwear with the plastic pants over them so if he did pee if I wasnt right there it didn't get everywhere.

I constantly asked him every 10-15 mins "Do you need to go potty?" he would get excited half the time and the other he wouldn't even pay attention.  Since we have moved I have stopped using the plastic pants and just use the underwear..yes he had quite a few accidents those first few days but now...now it's almost at that point of sucess!

Today was the second day of no diapers at all and I have put a waterproof cover under his sheet on his bed for naps and bedtime.  As soon as he gets up I tell him to go potty. He still has some accidents but they are less and less. He has learned to go when he needs to(as long as the light is on) and he likes the fact he can get up on the potty and close the lid and flush when he's done. DO NOT do it for him or he gets upset is what I have learned. It's really cute to hear him say "I push it mommy" when he's all done.

So it can be done! Stick with it, and training a girl may be so much easier. I had help with my daughter as she was in daycare...but I feel super accomplished at having done this so far all my myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment